Saturday, January 30, 2010

Why Blue Mountain Needs to Up the Ante






Rosy cheeks and powder snow are my combination for a perfect day. It’s official- I love to snowboard! I grew up as an avid skier. My family would travel every other March break vacation to a different ski resort. I have been to Vermont, New York, Quebec, and British Columbia to ski. Four years ago I decided I wasn’t getting any better as a skier and challenged myself to try snowboarding. I was hooked.


The past two weekends I spent at the closest decent ski resort, Blue Mountain. It seems they are still recovering from the warm winter that struck two years ago and doing everything possible to make money.


Unimpressed.


  • Sky high prices


  • Ridiculously long chairlift lines


  • The hills are so crowded it's almost dangerous to get down the mountain


  • The advanced hills intersect with beginner hills- making everyone scared that they will run someone else over

Is capping the number of skiers that can be on the hill each day an option?


One reviewer echoed my thoughts by stating Intrawest has expanded the Blue Mountain village with multiple dining options outweighing the capacity of the actual hill. Interestingly enough, if you go to the Blue Mountain Resort website the main image on the page is of the village- not the mountain. It could be a clever marketing trick. Perhaps they are trying to appeal more to the non-skier and get them to spend their money, rather than to the person who loves winter sports and will spend either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment